Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Mason's progress

Sorry we haven't updated for a while......There hasn't been too much to say other than staying steady. He had a biopsy of his lower leg ulceration a few days ago and has caused a lot of bleeding. But it appears to be slowing now. He tested positive for influenza A which is bad and good. He didn't test positive in San Diego when they ran the test. There's all sorts of theory's about when and what but I don't want to write that much. The good news is - If this was the flu - people can get over the flu.....Bad news is.....the Flu is no cup of tea for somebody in his condition. And there's no real evidence to say this isn't the underlying disease attacking his lungs. So many things to think about and decisions to make because how you recover from some of the things going on in his body are different than how you attack the disease and sometimes counter productive. Dr. Kingsbury has been a wonderful presence to work with as well as Dr. Lindsay who we have interacted with most in the ICU. The room accomodations are no where near Doerenbechers and even a step back from the Pink Vinyl suites of San Diego :) but I will happily sleep on a pint size blue vinyl recliner as long as Mason is in the right place. We have met another family here who's son (Cole) is suffering from the same disease and several bowel perforations within the last few days which causes so much pain. Please add him to your thoughts and prayers as his family and Cole continue to battle. I have only met them briefly but they are wonderful people.

2 comments:

Dallmann's said...

Poor little guy. He is going through so much. I just hope that with time he will be better. Love ya guys. H

Mark, Jessica, Jakob, Sarah, Lily and Kona said...

Hi Smedley Family,
This is your Ladd Acres School Nurse - I was just referred to the blog by some other school staff! I was totally out of the loop on what was going on.
What a scary and tough journey you guys have been on. I am wishing you all the best. Your ability to continue find strength in each other is amazing.
Mason is a fighter and he is lucky to have a great family around him!
Lots of love and Well Wishes!
Jessica Watson