Saturday, February 21, 2009

Just because

Ok....every time I come to the blog I am horrified that the first thing I see is Mason's wounds. So, here's a little post to divert your attention. :) Mason has had a really good couple of days. The respiratory therapists have put him on a different setting on the ventilator to help exercise his lungs....yesterday he stayed on it for 40 min. before his anxiety got the best of him. He was doing really well, but I am sure it's very scary doing most of the breathing on your own after having a breathing tube for 4 weeks. Mason is such a trooper...a champion....capable of more patience and bravery than I'll ever know. I am so proud to call him my son. He is amazing! Of course he has won the hearts of all the hospital staff wherever we go. The nurse told me yesterday that the other nurses were googoo over him. Not surprising :) He is so cooperative and sweet....and cute as can be :) The doctors are weaning the pain meds and the vent settings. He is doing well with that. He seems comfortable and is much more awake. I love the time we have with him. He's enjoying listening to me read to him and watching an occasional movie. He doesn't usually make it through a whole movie, but he tries. Child life has brought in all kinds of fun things for him to look at. For a couple of days he watched a light show on the ceiling. Last night she brought in a ton of new visuals for him...a disco ball, some sort of other light show thing in a tube, etc. Since he has no use of his limbs his entertainment is limited. They have been doing a good job of finding fun things for him....and for me...I am thinking about heading to the massage chair in a bit. (yes, a massage chair just for parents....ahhh!) I am so happy with our choice to come to this hospital (and not because of the massage chair..haha!). They have been amazing. We love the new rheumatologist. I feel like we made the right decision. Until next time.

4 comments:

Dallmann's said...

Just a thought, but maybe you could add a "Follow Me" giggit to your blog so that people are notified when you update it. Here is a link how to add it if you decide to.

http://help.blogger.com/bin/answer.py?answer=104225

I'm glad to hear about his progress and I know it feels good that you are happy to know that you had made a good decision on your placement of Mason.

Mason is a fighter and a lover. He's going to be a Great man someday and some lucky girl is going to be bless with his love as we all are now. Hang in there little man and we hope to come see you soon.

Love you,
Uncle Matt

The Smedley's said...

Matt, I figure if anyone wants to keep updated they will follow my blog anyway...I have everybody's blog I watch on my dashboard and it shows me when they update. :) But thanks for the advice...I'm just not that big on adding more stuff..I like to keep things simple.

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that Mason is making progress. As you said slow and steady wins the race. Mason and your whole family are in our thoughts and prayers. Sounds like Mason is in the right place.

Kelsi says hi to Abby.

Sending hugs and prayers!
Shari Shobe

Anonymous said...

What a great update! Thanks for the wonderful news. I'm constantly amazed at how tough Mason is. Thinking about you guys all the time. Know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.