Friday, January 30, 2009

Mason's progress

Today they were able to change him from the oscillator to a ventilator so this is a huge step forward. So far his blood gas tests are coming back good which means he continues to do well. His wound care is getting pretty nasty as they are being very aggressive while he is heavily sedated. Even with the tons of drugs they have on board, he was in obvious pain as they used silver nitrate sticks to chemically burn the edges of his skin and open it back up to allow healing again. The way the wound had closed before left an open hole in his wounds in the groin area that you can imagine are a harbor for infection. Anyway probably more than you all want to read but since this is also a log for us and his progress I wanted to capture it. His left leg looks to be getting worse as more calcium surfaces and the skin dies but the groin section does appear to be moving in the right direction. It would be so awesome if we could get the groin wounds closed. This has been so painful for him for months and months as we have to pack it and treat it everyday. We are so happy to be here at Rady's childrens hospital. Even though we are away from home I am so happy with the level of compassion and care this team of doctors and nurses are giving Mason. I truly believe that we have reached bottom and mason is on his way back up. Only time will tell but I do believe that he has all the right doctors and treatment plans in place now for him to begin healing. Thanks again to everyone for everything that you do. I also wanted to log a special thanks in here to Shari Hume (founder of Cure JM) for being here for us the entire time. I wish you all could meet her. She is such a great person and has created such a wonderful network of people. She stopped by yesterday to give Mason his Hero poster and a few gifts for him when he gets back to good health and Abby to keep her busy while she waits for her brother to get better. I can't say enough times - Thank you for what you do Shari. Kristen and I both think the world of you!

2 comments:

Dallmann's said...

Oh wow, it is so good to hear the Mason is moving past the scariest direction and headed in the healing direction. He is such an amazing kid. I have had a couple of dreams that Mason is walking around and I truely hope that this is a brief vision of what his future has is store. What a strong, fighting, sweet, senetive spirtit he has. He has handled adversity with such bravery. Like I said before he truely is a hero. I continue to pray for his healing and looking forward to when you can all come home. Love you so much. Aunti H

Anonymous said...

Smedley Family -

Thanks for the regular updates -- I have been reading them daily. I hope you continue to see improvements with Mason's health. He's such a brave little boy. It breaks my hears to see such young kids suffer so much with this terrible disease.

I really enjoyed getting to know Damon, Matt and Shannon last weekend. Some day, Kristen, I look forward to meeting you too.

Stay strong and I'll say a prayer for your family and especially for Mason!

Rhonda
Cure JM Foundation Chairman