So, the doctors took a second look at the spinal x-ray and when they looked really closely past all of the calcium that was showing up, they noticed Mason had compression fractures on the whole length of his spine :( I'm not sure what that means, or what the next step is....but I am a bit scared. Mason's been through way too much in his little life....I am so proud of how strong, sweet, caring, and lovely he is. He is an amazing gift!! I just want his suffering to end. I am hoping this Chicago trip will allow him to get to that point.
Tomorrow he is scheduled for an EMG....it's some sort of muscle test. They are also going to test his insulin level, retest his triglycerides and other things after he hasn't eaten overnight. Friday he's scheduled for surgery. The plastic surgeons are going to take a closer look at his wounds and maybe clean some of the calcium and infection out. At the same time the Ear, Nose, Throat people are going to put a scope up his nose and take samples of sinus fluid and test for bacteria or fungus. They can also clean out his sinuses to help alleviate his headaches. The CT showed lots of fluid and air pockets in his sinus cavities. Then during the same OR visit, the Pulmonologist is going to do a bronchoscopy to check for any infection, damage, etc. It will be good to get all of it done at once so they only have to sedate him one time.
Oh, and they couldn't get a PICC line in today. His skin is too covered in calcium and his muscles are too rigid. He had to wait to eat all day for Nothing! Poor guy.
I want to thank my amazing family for all the help you have given us. Mom, thank you for staying with the kids in Oregon. You are awesome. We love you soooo much!!! Shannon, thank you for taking care of our flight stuff! You are both amazing and such a gift to me and my family! Thank you to all of our other family and friends for your prayers, support, phone calls, emails, and love! We love you all.....I just had to say that because you all mean the world to us!!!
Wednesday, December 10, 2008
another update
Posted by The Smedley's at 6:28 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Hey Smedleys! Just want you to know I'm thinking about ya, and praying you find what Mason needs. Hang in there!
Thanks, Bonnie! That means a lot. Things are looking up. We'll find out more after his surgery and after they get the cultures back in a couple of days. I hate waiting!
All - Shannon gave me the blog address so we cn keep up. Kris, Ashley, Caitlin and I are keeping all of you in our prayers, but especially little Mason. God keep you all strong.
Jaye Fraser
Post a Comment